Subcontinent Quagmire – Bound To Happen
Relations between Pakistan and India have remained complex due to a number of historical and political vents and reasons. Despite, Indian leadership’s aggressive tones, Pakistan has always displayed positive attitude towards improving the relations with its utmost honesty. However, this was reciprocated by threats, do more mantra and improvement in security environment as a prerequisite. On the other hand, Simla agreement, Composite dialogue, Bus diplomacy, Track-II, Track-III diplomacy, Parliamentarian Dialogue parleys etc are countable manifestations of Pakistan’s good will gestures in the same regard. Not with standing Pakistan’s consistent efforts, the bilateral relations are yet to come out of the blind tunnels of pessimism as majority of irritating issues remain unresolved.
On installation of BJP government in New Delhi in 2014, Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif attended the swearing in ceremony of Indian PM Narendar Modi with positivity and optimism to improve the bilateral relation. However, India responded Pakistan’s gesture by resorting to unprovoked pounding of LOC / LAC and escalated tension to new heights. Indian move was part of her muscular policy vis-a-vis Pakistan. Modi virtually disregarded Pakistan’s gestures and scuttled scheduled talks, used inflammatory language and series of statements accusing Pakistan of “waging a proxy war of terrorism”. In fact, India continued to exploit religious groups like TTP etc, Baloch and Sindhi sub-nationalist as proxies against Pakistan. India exploited her bonhomie with Karzai government and un-proportionate diplomatic presence in Afghanistan for incapacitating Pakistan. In the backdrop of ASP Peshawar incident, Pakistan launched “Zarb-e-Azb” as a national resolve and response to end the menace of terrorism for good. Resultantly, extremist and terrorist have been flushed out from FATA and the operation has been expended to other areas. Afghan government under President Ashraf Ghani has also extended hand of cooperation to Pakistan. These developments are ominous for Indian establishment, resulting in increasing the frustration of Mr. Modi and devilish NSA Ajeet Doval.
• India has become a chronic patient of “Pakistan paranoid syndrome” which is an incurable malaise.
• Due to continuous border, unresolved outstanding issues and inherent Pakistan enmity, India has become habitual of staging terrorist activities to blame Pakistan’s, Armed forces and intelligence agencies.
• India media is also sensationalizing such like news items in an un-proportionate way. Due to geographically contagious borders with Pakistan, infiltration has been exploited as a favorite narrative to malign and implicated Pakistan. One wonders that Indian borders in the backdrop of high security measure (including fencing all over the border and heavy presence of BSF) have become so porous that infiltrators easily cross into India.
• Attempts to create smear link between Kashmiri freedom fighters and Khalitsan movement, is an indigestible fact as there has been no traces of cooperation and contacts between both movements in the past. Moreover, India is trying to neutralize the increasing weaves of protest / activities of Kashmiri people being registered in IOK and Sikhs of India Punjab.
• Pakistan has been endeavoring for a tension free atmosphere with India, where as the response of the later has remained discouraging and disappointing. India belligerence and jingoism has increased manifold during BJP / Modi era and is unlikely to change into mild or moderate form.
• ON the other hand Indian media always reports about expected engagement of National security advisor of both countries, thus it has become a customary tactic on the part of India to announce or resort to bilateral engagement whenever Indian establishment feels mounting pressure from international and local corners.