Heavyweight champion Fury apologises for offensive remarks
LONDON: World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury has apologised for offensive remarks he made in an online video last week, insisting he is ‘not a bigot or a racist’.
The outspoken Briton, preparing for a re-match with Wladimir Klitschko, who he surprisingly de-throned in Dusseldorf in November to win the WBA, WBO and IBF belts, caused controversy with homophobic, sexist and anti-Semitic comments during a ‘Question and Answer’ session with his uncle and trainer Peter Fury.
“I apologise to anyone who may have taken offence at any of my comments,” Fury said in a statement.
Arum slams Rio boxing proposal as ‘total madness’
“I said some things, which may have hurt some people, which as a Christian man is not something I would ever want to do.”
“I mean no harm or disrespect to anyone and I know more is expected of me as an ambassador of British boxing and I promise in future to hold myself up to the highest possible standard.”
Fury has made almost as many headlines with his behaviour outside the ring as with his performances in it.
Bullish Amir hopes to pull off a ‘Leicester’
In January, the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC) reminded him of his responsibilities after he made derogatory remarks about women and criticised homosexuality and abortion.
Last year 130,000 signed a petition calling for the BBC to remove Fury from its shortlist for Sports Personality of the Year, prompting another apology from the fighter.
Mayweather hints at chance of ring return
Fury faces Klitschko for the WBA and WBO belts in Manchester on July 9, having rescinded the IBF belt because of a contractual dispute.