Suicide bomber kills at least 50 Yemeni troops in Aden
ADEN: A suicide bomber killed at least 50 soldiers and wounded around 30 more on Saturday at a military camp in Yemen´s southern city of Aden, where jihadists are active, a military source said.
The attacker detonated his explosives belt as hundreds of troops gathered to receive their monthly pay at the barracks in Al-Sawlaban near the city´s international airport, the source said.
Security sources said earlier that a bomb planted by unknown individuals had been behind the deadly explosion.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Yemeni authorities have for months pressed a campaign against jihadists who remain active in the south and east of the war-torn country.
The IS group and its rival Al-Qaeda have taken advantage of a conflict between the government and the Huthi rebels, who control the capital Sanaa, to bolster their presence across much of the south.
IS and Al-Qaeda have carried out a spate of attacks in Aden, headquarters of Yemen´s internationally recognised government since allied fighters retook the port city from the rebels last year.
An IS militant rammed his explosives-laden car into an army recruiting centre in Aden in August, killing 71 people in the deadliest attack on the city in over a year.